September 2020 Visitor Counts
September 2020, reflected the ongoing impacted by COVID-19, though far less than the months of March – June. September saw significant growth over prior months of the year.
September visitation decreased year-over-year in three sectors, resulting in a total decrease of 27.8% in passengers over the same month last year.
September’s total in-bound passengers = 71,078, down 27.8% from last year @ 98,425. September 2020 was below the three-year average of 90,317 by 21.3%. September was below the five-year average of 94,096 by 24.5% and the ten-year average of 93,029 by 23.6%.
Arrivals by Sea
People arriving by sea, including private boaters, was 67,675 for the month of September, down 28.5% from 94,599 last year.
- September Cross Channel passenger counts were down 10.7% year-over-year @ 58,813
- 1995 had the highest volume for the month @ 78,320 passengers
- 2008 had the lowest volume for the month @ 44,553 passengers
- September Cross Channel passenger counts were below the three-year average of 65,128 by 9.7%
- Cross Channel Carriers made up 82.74% of total monthly arrivals
- Cruise passenger counts were down 100% year-over-year @ 0
- The number of Cruise Ships calling on Avalon was down @ 0 vs. 11 in 2019
- 2015 had the highest passenger volume for the month @ 28,317
- 2020 had the lowest passenger volume for the month @ 0
- September passenger counts were below the three-year average of 13,285 by 100%
- Cruise passengers made up 0% of total monthly arrivals
- Private Boater passenger counts were up year-over-year by 10.1% @ 8,832
- 2011 had the highest volume for the month @ 10,494
- 2014 had the lowest volume month @ 6,812
- September passenger counts were below the three-year average of 8,309 by 6.3%
- September number of boats on anchors was down 13.6% from last year @ 108
- September number of boats on moorings was up 10.1% @ 2,208
- Private Boaters Made up 12.43% of total monthly arrivals
Arrivals by Air
Combined in-bound air passenger counts for September totaled 3,529, down by 9.5% from 2019.
- People aboard planes (Airport in the Sky) was up 10.1% from 8,024 in 2019
- 2012 had the highest volume of private aircraft passenger counts for the month @ 2,621
- 2017 had the lowest volume of private aircraft passenger counts for the month @ 1,302
- September counts were above the three-year average of 1,667 by 13.2%
- September people aboard planes made up 2.65% of total monthly arrivals
- People aboard Charter Helicopters was down year-over-year by 26.7% @ 1,546
- 2017 had the highest volume for the month @ 2,295
- 2013 had the lowest volume for the month @ 1,310
- September counts were below the three-year average of 1,928 by 19.8%
- September people aboard Helicopters made up 2.18% of total monthly arrivals
- Total arrivals year-to-date was down 52.7% from last year @ 386,327 or 430,023 visitors
- Total arrivals year-to-date fell below the three, five and ten year averages
To view historical data for total arrivals by sector, year and month in a spreadsheet form click here.
Year-over-year comparison for highs, lows and precipitation is charted below for the month of September each year back to 2012.
The number of rain days Year-to date is charted below with year-over year comparisons.
Third Night Complimentary
The longer you stay, the more memories you make. Book two nights and receive your third night complimentary.
Catalina Flyer from Newport
$10 Off Catalina Island Ferry
Hop onboard the Catalina Flyer with daily round trip service to Catalina Island from Newport Beach.