June visitation increased year-over-year by 30.9% or 29,734 visitors
Previous tracking (below) for the month of June offers a comparison with and without COVID-19 impacts. June’s 2022’s total of 125,942 exceeded June 2019’s pre COVID-19 total arrivals of 108,265 by 17,677 visitors
June’s total in-bound passenger count was above the three, five and ten-year averages of 84,694, 95,118 and 99,770 respectively.
Arrivals by Sea
Passengers arriving by sea, totaled 122,185 for the month and were up 32.8% from last year.
Cross Channel Passenger counts were up year-over-year by 2.5% or an increase of 2,091 people
- 2000 had the highest volume for the month @ 88,446 passengers
- 2020 had the lowest volume for the month @ 23,736. Pre COVID-19 impacts, the lowest year for the month was 2009 @ 48,245
- June Cross Channel Passenger counts were above the three, five and ten-year averages by 33.4%, 22.7% and 19.5% respectively
- Cross Channel Passengers made up 68.9% of total monthly arrivals
Cruise passenger counts totaled 28,963
- There were no cruise passengers in June 2020 or 2021
- 2009 had the highest Cruise Passenger volume for the month @ 35,062
- 2020 and 21 had the lowest Cruise Passenger volume for the month @ 0. Pre-COVID-19 the lowest count for the month was 1991 @ 9,856
- Pre-COVID-19 June 2019 brought 27,614 visitors via cruise ships
- June Cruise Passenger counts were above the three and five and ten-year averages by 200%, 100.2% and 64.7% respectively. Note with two years of few/no cruise ship calls, averages are greatly impacted
- Cruise Passengers made up 23% of total monthly arrivals
- The number of Cruise Ships calling on Avalon was 9
- All prior years had 8 Ships calling with the exception of 2020 and 21 @ 0
- Pre-COVID-19 the lowest count for the month was 8
Private Boater Passenger counts were down from last year by 11.6% @ 6,408 vs. 7,250
- 2017 had the highest passenger volume for the month @ 7,250
- 2015 had the lowest passenger volume month @ 5,140.
- June Private Boater Passenger counts were below the three and five-year averages by 5.3% and 5.9.% respectively, but slightly above the ten-year average by 0.3%
- Private Boaters Made up 5.09% of total monthly arrivals
- June’s number of Vessels Anchored was up 32.9% @ 110 vs 79 last year
- 2018 had the highest number of Vessels Anchored @ 207
- 2012 had the lowest number of Vessels Anchored @ 34
- June was above the three-year average by 8.6% but below the average number of Vessels Anchored for five and ten-years by13.8% and 2.5% respectively
- June’s number of Vessels on Moorings was down 11.5% from last year @ 1,602 vs 1,810
- 2017 had the highest number of Vessels on Moorings @ 1,285
- 2015 had the lowest number of Vessels on Moorings @ 1,285.
- June was below the three and five-year averages for Vessels on Moorings by 5.3% and 5.8% respectively, but slightly above the ten-year average by .03%
Arrivals by Air
Combined in-bound air passenger counts for June totaled 3,824 down 14% from 4,444 in 2021.
Private Aircraft Passengers (Airport in the Sky) were down @ 1,863 vs 2,157 last year
- 2021 had the highest volume of Private Aircraft Passengers for the month @ 2,157
- 2020 had the lowest volume of Private Aircraft Passengers for the month @ 936 due to COVID-19 impacts, with 2019 as the next lowest @ 1,044
- June’s Private Aircraft Passenger count was above the three, five and ten-year averages by 12.8%, 26% and 20.8% respectively
- June Private Aircraft Passengers made up 1.48% of total monthly arrivals
Helicopter Passenger counts were down year-over-year @ 1,894 vs. 2,078
- 2021 had the highest volume for the month @ 2,078
- 2020 the lowest volume for the month @ 613. Pre COVID-19 the lowest for the month was 2009 @ 1,141
- June Helicopter Passengers counts were above the three, five and ten-year averages by 23.9%, 18.1% and 15.7% respectively
- June Helicopter Passengers made up 1.5% of total monthly arrivals
Hotel and Short-Term Rental Occupancy from Smith Travel and AIRDNA
- Hotel Occupancy for June was up by 5.4% @ 81.6% vs. 77.4% in 2021
- Hotel Occupancy was above the three-year average by 2.6% and even with the five-year average
- Short-Term Rental Occupancy for June was down 4.1% @ 71% vs 74% in 2021
- Short-term rental occupancy was above the three and five-year averages by 19.1% and 41.2% respectively
Competing Destination Occupancies
- Among our competitive set, Catalina ranked 2nd in Hotel Occupancy and 3rd in STR Occupancy
- June Hotel Occupancy was greater than Catalina’s in San Diego
- June Short-Term Rental Occupancy was greater than Catalina’s in Anaheim, Newport Beach and San Diego. Catalina’s Short-Term rental occupancy tied with San Francisco for June.
Hotel and Short-Term Rental Average Daily Rate from Smith Travel and AIRDNA
- Among our competitive set, Catalina ranked 6th in Average Daily Rate for Hotels and 2nd for Average Daily Rate for STRs
- June Hotel Average Daily Rate was down .06% @ $242.09 vs. $243.67 in 2021
- June Short-Term Rental Average Daily Rate was up 20.2% @ $607, up from $505 in 2021
Hotel and Short-Term Rental Revenue Per Available Room from Smith Travel and AIRDNA
- Among our competitive set, Catalina ranked 6th for hotels and 2nd for STRs respectively in Revenue Per Available Room.
- June Hotel Revenue Per Available Room was up 4.6% @ $197.51 vs. $188.88 in 2021
- June Short-Term Rental Revenue Per Available Room was $440.00, down 1.1% from $445.00 in 2021
Catalina Island Visitor Center
- Phone Calls for the month were down year-over-year by 27.3% @ 854 vs. 1,174 in 2021
- 2008 had the highest volume for the month @ 2,318 calls
- 2020 had the lowest volume for the month @ 314 calls.
- June call counts were below the three, five and ten-year averages by 13.4%, 15.5% and 18.5% respectively
- The number of Walk-Ins for the month was down by 18.2% year-over-year @ 2,617 vs. 3,199 in 2021
- 2018 had the highest volume of Walk-ins for the month @ 8,597 guests
- 2020 had the lowest volume of Walk-ins for the month @ 93 guests.
- June Walk-In counts were above the three-year average of 1,970 by 32.9% but below the five-year average of 3,509 by 25.4%
- June LoveCatalina.com website users were down year-over-year by 21.2% @ 104,804 vs. 133,000 in 2021
- Website users were below the three-year average by 21.2% but above the five and ten-year averages by 15.3% and 130.6% respectively
- Book Direct referrals were down year-over-year by 39.1% @ 19,118 vs. 31,368 in 2021
- Book Direct lodging searches were down 35.1% @ 18,988 vs. 29,267 in 2021
Note changes to Book Direct on member links has resulted in shifting traffic between referrals and searches
Visitor Guides & Newsletters
Note measures now include additional source tracking for months and years in which distributions were tracked
- Printed Visitor Guide orders on LoveCatalina.com @ 94, were up from 72 last year
- No 2021 Guide was printed and 2022 guide distribution initiated in late February 2022
- Online Guide downloads were down by 44.9% @ 396 vs. 719 in 2021 when no print version was available
- New E-newsletter subscribers in June were down year-over-year @ 141 vs 205 in 2021
- New subscribers exceeded three and five-year averages
Cumulative totals by platform as of June below.
- Facebook followers are up year-over-year by 7.0%
- Instagram followers are up year-over-year by 24.1%
- Twitter followers are up year-over-year by 10%
- LinkedIn followers are up year-over-year by 80.4%
- TikTok is our newest platform and is up year-over year by 2,559.5%.
Total year-to-date arrivals are up from last year by 52.2%
- Year-to-date Total Arrivals were up @ 481,581 vs. 316,454 last year or a difference of 165,127 visitors
- The total arrivals year-to-date exceeded the three-year average of 323,695 by 48.8%, five-year average of 374,600 by 28.6% and ten-year average of 412,624 by 16.7%
- All arrival sectors are up year-to-date with the exception of Private Boat
Note the Annual Report recently distributed to members included estimated June passenger counts that differed minimally from these verified totals.
COVID-19 and pre-Covid-19 comparison data is illustrated in the ten-year plus snapshot below (January - June combined).
- 2022 has the highest total visitation year-to-date @ 481,581, slightly exceeding 2015
- 2020 had the lowest year-to-date total visitation @ 173,051
- 2011 had the lowest pre COVID-19 year-to-date @ 323,176
To view historical data for total arrivals by sector, year and month in a spreadsheet form click here.
Hotel and Short-Term Rental Occupancy from Smith Travel and AIRDNA
- Hotel Occupancy YTD is 69.2% vs. 55.5% tracked for the same time period in 2021
- Short-Term Rental Occupancy Year-To-Date is 54.5%, up from 52.2% in 2021
- According to Smith Travel, YTD Catalina’s average Hotel Occupancy was above Anaheim, Huntington Beach, Monterey, Newport Beach, Palm Springs, San Francisco and Santa Barbara. Competing destinations of San Diego and Santa Monica exceeded our year-to-date average Hotel Occupancy.
- According to AirDNA, Catalina’s average Year-To-Date Short-Term Rental Occupancy was below all destinations in our competitive set with those destinations ranging from 57% to 72% occupancy
Year-to-date Visitor Services
Catalina Island Visitor Center
- Number of Phone Calls year-to-date are up by 11% @ 3,834 vs. 3,455
- Year-to-date Phone Calls exceeded the three-year average, but remained below the five and ten-year average
- Number of Walk-Ins year-to-date are up @ 10,428 vs. 8,232 or 26.7%
- Year-to-date Walk-In counts were above the three-year average, but below the five-year average
- LoveCatalina.com website users are up year-to-date by 12.1% @ 633,484 vs. 555,941 in 2021
- Book Direct lodging searches are down year-to-date by 6.9% @, 108,832 vs. 116,932 in 2021. Note changes to Book Direct on member links has resulted in shifting some traffic to referrals vs. searches
- Book Direct referrals year-to-date are down by 7.6% @ 95,982 vs. 103,706 in 2021
- Book Direct Package referrals are not currently active on our site
Data for June highs, lows and precipitation going back to 2012 is displayed below. Multi-year rain days data is also displayed by year and month since 2012. Measures are taken at Avalon Harbor.