Catalina Island Wedding & Marriage Proposals
With its natural beauty and charming seaside atmosphere, far removed from the pressures of everyday life, Catalina Island has become a beacon for couples looking for a remarkable escape where they can reaffirm their commitment to each other.
The "Island of Romance" has become a popular destination for marriage proposals. Ready to pop the question? Here are the best places to propose on Catalina Island.
- Buena Vista Point: This spectacular view point offers one of the most beautiful views of Avalon. Perched high above the harbor, in front of Mt Ada, all of Avalon as well as the channel spread out beneath you to create an awe-inspiring vista.
- Descanso Beach Club: Rent a cabana for the day at the popular Descanso Beach Club. The beachside side setting is perfect romantic spot to pop the question.
- Rent out the ballroom or tAvalon Theatre: For a truly over-the-top experience, dinner for two in the Catalina Casino Ballroom creates an unforgettable – and not inexpensive – evening. This spectacular setting features art deco details, dramatic views of Avalon Harbor and is inside of one of the most iconic buildings in Southern California
- On the zipline: Adventurers hoping to get betrothed will find that the Catalina Zipline Eco-Tour provides a high-flying, high-speed adventure sure to get the heart racing and the blood pumping.
- At a local beachside restaurant: The restaurants on Catalina are a natural choice for an island proposal. Slide the ring across the table after dessert, get down on one knee after the entrée or ask your server to drop the ring in a glass of champagne.
- The Wrigley Memorial is the centerpiece of the Botanic Garden with commanding views of the Avalon Bay. The red roof tiles and colorful handmade glazed tiles offer the perfect backdrop to pop your question.
- On a balcony overlooking the Avalon Bay. With so many hotel options, you're sure to find the perfect one for your special date. Mt. Ada, Zane Grey Pueblo Hotel, Hotel Vista del Mar, Bellanca Hotel and The Avalon Hotel are just a few with those spectacular bayfront views.
- Underwater: If you and your potential fiancé love scuba diving, why not ask the big question underwater? A well-known Catalina dive site such as the Casino Point Dive Park is an ideal destination. Options include using a dive slate to write out your Catalina Island proposal or setting up something more elaborate with the help of an island dive shop.
Outside of Avalon
- Airport in the Sky: With a spectacular location in the heart of the island, fly in, shuttle in or hike in to this popular destination. Set up a picnic or set out on the patio overlooking the lush landscape of the island.
- On a secluded beach: With more than 50 miles of coastline, Catalina Island offers a number of secluded beaches that can be reached in a variety of methods, including hiking and kayaking. Make a day of it – and make your proposal unforgettable – by asking the question where it’s just the two of you.
- At Raggers Point: Near Little Harbor on the windward side of the island, this isolated promontory is considered by many to be have one of the most beautiful views on the entire island of Catalina. With the crashing surf below and the Pacific spread out as far as the eye can see, you and your true love will be blessed by Mother Nature’s beauty.
- Out on the trail. The Trans Catalina Trail spans 38.5 miles across Catalina Island. Couples that hike together stay together (at least that's what we've heard). So top off your accomplishment by asking for a hand in marriage.
- Two Harbors: Catalina Island's picturesque west end is a beautiful locale replete with two separate harbors, a restaurant, beaches, scenic overlooks and several picturesque picnic spots. During summer months, hop abroad the Cyclone boat for a scenic coastline ride from Avalon. Or charter a helicopter to fly for an unforgettable experience.
- In a helicopter: Soaring high above it all in a helicopter is a memorable experience no matter what you’re doing. Create a life-long memory by popping the question while flying to the island – or while on an air tour of the island.
Need assistance in planning your proposal?
To start planning your proposal, consider some of these options. Cafe Metropole offers off site catering and can set up a picnic almost anywhere on the island. If you're looking at specific venue, like Descanso Beach Club or the Catalina Casino, contact the catering team at the Catalina Island Co. If looking at a hotel, contact the individual property for overnight accommodations. To get into the interior, check with Catalina Taxi & Tours or the Catalina Conservancy. To plan a hiking trip into the interior, contact Catalina Backcountry.