2019 has been weak year-to-date compared to the prior year. Primary factors have been weather and facility closure. Poor weather has resulted in both Cross Channel and Cruise Ship cancellations and in fewer boaters in the harbor. Accordingly, new data sets are included for weather.
August visitation increased in all but two travel sectors.
August total in-bound passengers = 136,781, up 1.4% from last year @ 134,926. August 2019 exceeded the three-year average of 134,888. August exceeded the five and ten-year averages of 133,867 and 122,379, respectively.
Arrivals by Sea
Avalon's combined Cruise & Cross Channel in-bound passenger counts for August totaled 121,441, up .65% from 2018. Total people arriving by sea, including private boaters, was 132,053 for the month, up 1.2% from 130,547 last year.
- August Cross Channel passenger counts were up 1.0% year-over-year @ 99,957.
- 1999 had the highest volume for the month @ 121,064 passengers.
- 2009 had the lowest volume for the month @ 75,672 passengers.
- August passenger counts were above the three-year average of 97,781 by 2.2%.
- Cross Channel Carriers made up 73.08% of total monthly arrivals.
- Cruise passenger counts were down 1.0% year-over-year @ 21,484
- The number of Cruise Ships calling on Avalon was down to 8 from 10 from August of 2018
- 2005 had the highest volume for the month @ 26,065.
- 2002 had the lowest volume for the month @ 10,388.
- August passenger counts were below the three-year average of 22,505 by 4.5%.
- Cruise passengers made up 15.71% of total monthly arrivals.
- Private Boater counts were up @ 10,612
- 2019 had the highest volume for the month @ 10,612
- 2015 had the lowest volume month @ 8,424.
- August counts were above the three-year average of 10,147 by 4.6%.
- August Boaters made up 7.76% of total monthly arrivals
Arrivals by Air
Avalon's combined in-bound air passenger counts for August totaled 4,804, up 7.8% from 2018.
- People aboard planes (Airport in the Sky) was up 43% year-over-year @ 2.574.
- 2019 had the highest volume in current data, for the month @ 2,574.
- August counts were above the three-year average of 1,983 by 29.8%.
- August people aboard planes made up 1.9% of total monthly arrivals.
- People aboard Charter Helicopters was down year-over-year 16.5% @ 2,154.
- 2015 had the highest volume in current data, for the month @ 2,749.
- 2013 had the lowest volume in current data, for the month @ 1,687.
- August people aboard Helicopters made up 1.6% of total monthly arrivals.
- Year-to-date total arrivals = 717,925 down 4.4% from last year which was 751,836.
- Year-to-date total arrivals is below the three-year average of 742,467 by 3.3%.
Note on year to date totals: the Airport in the Sky was closed January through May for runway repairs.
To view historical data for total arrivals by sector, year and month in a spreadsheet form click here.
Year-over-year comparison for highs, lows and precipitation is charted below for the month of August each year back to 2012.
The number of rain days by month is charted below. 2019 represents the most rain days year-to-date with 53 days recorded. 2017 had 36 rain days, 2012 had 20 rain days.
Third Night Complimentary
The longer you stay, the more memories you make. Book two nights and receive your third night complimentary.
Catalina Flyer from Newport
$10 Off Catalina Island Ferry
Hop onboard the Catalina Flyer with daily round trip service to Catalina Island from Newport Beach.