While the winemaking regions of northern California and the Central Coast may seem like the obvious go-to locations for celebrating wine, the fact is, Catalina Island is a worthy consideration as well. Not only are wine grapes grown on the island–the roots of that winery date back to the earliest grapes grown in California, but epic events like the Annual Catalina Island Wine Festival and the Catalina Wine Mixer made famous in the movie Stepbrothers take place this month on the island. The award winning wines of Rusack Vineyards include a 1995 Catalina Island Vineyard Pinot Noir that recently earned a 94 score by Wine Spectator. California Wine Month events below taking place on Catalina Island:
- UnWINE’d. Find your Zen with Yoga, Wine and Spa. 5:30 -8:30 pm Mondays & Wednesdays in September—Catalina Island Spa. 310-510.7300
- Wine Down Wednesdays. Half-Off Selected Bottles from open till close every Wednesday—Avalon Grille. 510.7494
- Happy Hour, $5.00 Wine by the Glass. 4:00 -6:00 pm, Monday – Thursday—Avalon Grille. 510.7494
- 5 O’Clock at the Spa. No host Wine and Bites on the ocean view relaxation deck. 5:00 – 8:00 pm Thursday – Sunday. 510.7300.
- Catalina Island Women’s Forum Wine Festival, 22nd Annual Festival with over 70 Wineries, delectable hors d’oeuvres and live music. 2:00 – 4:00 pm, Saturday, September 15–South Beach on Avalon Bay 510.1520
- The Catalina Wine Mixer, Three-day extravaganza featuring live bands, DJs, fun and food inspired by the move Step Brothers. September 21-23—Descanso Beach Club.
The island grown Rusack Vineyards Chardonnay, Zinfandel and Pinot Noir varietals are all 90 point plus wines! Want to taste or buy the wines of Catalina Island? Here are the places on Catalina Island to enjoy a glass or buy a bottle as your island souvenir.
- Avalon Grille, 423 Crescent Ave, Avalon
- Bluewater Avalon, 306 Crescent Ave, Avalon
- C. Beau Deli (bottle only), 117 Clarissa Ave, Avalon
- Steve’s Steakhouse & Seafood, 417 Crescent Ave, Avalon
Island hotels and vacation rental agencies report a handful of spaces remain available for fall weekends and ocean water temperatures are still above 70 degrees, so, check out the wine-lineup and make plans to head to Catalina to say Hello Wine Month!
For details on these and many other upcoming events on Catalina Island, visit CatalinaChamber.com or call the Catalina Island Visitor Center at 310.510.1520. Hotel and transportation information also available.