Boating to Catalina Island
Transportation by Private Boat
Boaters will find moorings (but no slips) in Avalon, Two Harbors, and various coves around the Island. For more information about boating in Avalon, download a brochure, with a map of Avalon Moorings, from the Avalon Harbor Department.
Avalon Harbor Mooring Information
- Located at Catalina Island's east end, over 360 mooring sites are available in Avalon Harbor, Descanso Bay and Hamilton Cove.
- All moorings are assigned on a first-come, first-served basis. Upon arrival, please stand by just outside the Avalon Harbor entrance for a mooring assignment from the Harbor Patrol boat. No moorings are assigned over VHF radio. Mooring fees are payable upon assignment of a mooring, and may be paid by cash, check or credit card (except American Express) to the Harbor Patrol Officer.
- Avalon is a NO DISCHARGE area. No sewage may be discharged – treated or not. This is strictly enforced. A free Pump-A-Head station is located near the fuel dock, by the Casino building. There is a pump-out station located at the main dock in Two Harbors, and a pump-out boat in Catalina Harbor.
- Service boats make trash pick-ups free of charge daily during the summer months, and in Avalon on weekends in winter months. Plastic trash bags are available at no charge from the trash service boat or at the Harbor Master's office on at the end of the Green Pleasure Pier.
- To ensure a peaceful coexistence, all generators must be secured from 10 pm to 7 am.
- The anchoring area for Avalon is located outside the breakwater, west of the Casino building, at least 300 feet from moorings and the Casino Dive Park. Plan on a depth of 150 feet. At all other locations, you may anchor outside mooring areas only. These are not patrolled and you anchor at your own risk. The shore boat does not service the anchorage area.
- Dinghy docks are available throughout Avalon Harbor for dinghies 14' or smaller. We recommend dinghy locks.
- Shoreboat/water-taxi service is also available; the service monitors VHF Channel 9. There is a charge per person, per trip each way.
How to Pickup and Drop a Mooring in Avalon by Newport Beach Maritime Academy.
Two Harbors & Beyond Mooring Information
- Located at Catalina Island’s west end, over 700 mooring sites are available around Two Harbors in secluded coves, landings, beaches, and harbors including Isthmus Cove, Fourth of July Cove, Cherry Cove, Emerald Bay, Howland’s Landing, Little Geiger, White’s Landing, Moonstone, Hen Rock, Buttonshell, Catalina Harbor and Wells Beach. View maps of the west end mooring sites.
- Moorings are available via reservation. Every Thursday at midnight, availability will be loaded for the weekend. When you arrive, contact the Two Harbors Harbor Department via VHF Channel 09 to find your assignment and pay your fees.
- Quiet hours, between 10pm and 7am apply for all generator usage.
- Please observe the five-mile per hour, no-wake speed limit near mooring areas and anchorages.
- Gas, diesel, pump-out station and water are available year-round from the fuel dock. Propane is also available on shore.
- A trash pick-up vessel services all leeside coves during the summer months.
- Anchoring is at your own risk. Anchoring is permitted 100 yards outside the mooring area and is administered by the Two Harbors Harbor Department.
- For information about mooring outside the Avalon area, please visit Two Harbors Mooring Reservations & Fees.
- Avalon Harbor Department: 24 hour service~VHF Channels 12 & 16; 310-510-0535
- Catalina Mooring Service, Two Harbors: VHF Channel 9; 310-510-4253
- LA County Sheriff’s Dept., Avalon: 310-510-0174
- LA County Sheriff’s Dept., Two Harbors: 310-510-0872
- US Coast Guard: VHF Channel 16; 310-521-3600 or Emergency, 310-521-3815
- LA County Lifeguard/Paramedic Rescue Boat: VHF Channel 16; 310-510-0586 or Dial 911.
- Shore Boats: VHF Channel 9; there is a charge per person each way
- Marine Fuel Dock, Avalon: Gas, diesel & water; 310-510-0046
- Marine Fuel Dock, Two Harbors: Gas, diesel & water; 310-510-4234
- Marine Mechanic: VHF Channel 16 in Avalon; VHF Channel 9 outside Avalon
- Pump Out Station: Free of charge; located near the Casino Building
- Pump-A-Head Mobil Service: VHF Channel 68; 310-292-1226
- Vessel Assist/TowBoatU.S.: VHF Channel 16; 310-510-1675 or 800-391-4869
- Propane: Pebbly Beach Building Supply in Avalon, Southern California Edison, Pebbly Beach in Avalon & on shore at Two Harbors
- Dinghy Docks: Available throughout Avalon Harbor for dinghies 14 feet or smaller
- Ocean Sport Fishing & Marine Protected Area Regulations: click to view interactive map