Fun-filled summer season features a concert series, unique movie experiences, and more on beautiful Catalina Island
From water sports and thrilling aerial adventures to beachfront lounging and soaking up incredible scenic views, Catalina is an idyllic retreat for travelers who want to slow down and enjoy life on island time. Enjoy a multitude of lively events and activities during for the summer season.
Catalina Island Concert Series: July 15, August 19 and September 2
In partnership with Xceptional Music Company, the family-friendly Catalina Island Concert Series returns for another summer of incredible live music at Wrigley Stage. Concerts are held from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. with a 21+ beer, wine and spirits garden located adjacent to the stage featuring raffle and prize opportunities throughout the evening. This year’s lineup includes:
- Venice with the Pine Mountain Logs (July 15) – Americana pop harmonies influenced by The Beach Boys, Eagles and CSN.
- Mick Adams & the Stones (August 19) – A live, multi-media spectacle that takes you on a musical journey through the career of Rock and Roll’s most celebrated bands
- Xceptional Tribute to ABBA (September 2) – A fan-favorite performance highlighting the best of ABBA.
TOURS & THINGS TO DO:
- Flying Fish Voyage This popular seasonal tour from Catalina Island Company is back for the summer, giving visitors an up close and personal nighttime experience aboard the Cyclone boat as guests cruise along the coast in search of Catalina's world-famous marine aviators. The boat is equipped with a powerful searchlight that entices the fish to take flight and soar across the surface of the sea. To book tickets, visit the website here.
- Cyclone Power Boat to Two Harbors Transportation between Avalon and Two Harbors via the Cyclone, a seasonal high-speed power boat has resumed daily services. The 40-minute boat ride is the fastest way to travel between the two locations, providing visitors an opportunity to explore both ends of Catalina in the same day. The boat departs from the Green Pleasure Pier in Avalon for an exciting cruise along the stunning Catalina coast. Tickets are $18 each way and can be purchased online here.
- Coastal Tour: Catalina Divers Supply, known for Guided SCUBA, snorkel, and SNUBA adventures, will now offer a Coastal Wildlife Cruise that explores Catalina’s picturesque waters and shoreline. The tour will give visitors an opportunity for up-close wildlife encounters as they search for whales, dolphins, seals, bald eagles, and various seabirds.
- Parasailing: Catalina Coastal Tours & Fishing which offers fishing charters, wildlife ocean tours, and jet ski rentals, now offer Catalina Xtreme Parasail. The tour is available for single, tandem, and three-person flyers at 600 or 800 feet and will offer flyers breathtaking views of Avalon and Catalina Island.
- Become a Mermaid: Ever want to explore life as a mermaid? Catalina Island Mermaids offer several unique experiences, including Mermaid photoshoots and Mermaid swim and diving experiences. Learn the basics of swimming like a mermaid with the Discover Mermaid™ experience and get certified with the PADI Advance Mermaid™ course.
- Eco E-Bike Tour with Leyva's Electric Bike Rentals: Experience one of the best activities Catalina has to offer with the Eco E-Bike Tours. Discover the natural beauty found at Catalina with roaming bison and unique fauna. There are a few tours available to book for your exploration.
Vintage Vessel Voyages Set sail aboard Catalina's own pirate ship! Glide along the coast, enjoying the beautiful coastline from Mayflower's spacious deck, with her captain and crew acting as your private guides. Simply sit back and enjoy the sail or learn about traditional sailing and the island's history from Captain Andrew and his buccaneering crew! Now offering half-day and full-day sailing adventures for up to 6 passengers!
- Catalina Casino: This iconic landmark is now open to the public for general admission during regular business hours, allowing visitors to step back in time and soak up the rich cultural history of Catalina’s architectural masterpiece. Guests will enjoy movies under the twinkling stars of the Avalon Theatre’s Art Deco dome, discover the circular dance floor of the famed Ballroom, and take in spectacular views while strolling along the Terrace.
- Catalina Museum for Art & History: The Catalina Museum of Art & History presents the art installation Below the Surface: The Catalina Photographs of Bruce Hall, featuring a collection of underwater photographs captured over decades at Catalina’s Casino Point Dive Park, the country’s earliest underwater preserve. The art installation is curated by guest curator Douglas McCulloh and is currently on view through January 2024. For more information about Below the Surface: Catalina Photographs of Bruce Hall art installation at Catalina Museum for Art & History, visit here.
Catalina Cones: Ice Cream in Paradise, Catalina Cones is serving the finest ice creams using grass-grazed milk & cream, local, and organic products. Stop in for a Catalina Split or Avalon Dip! Located on Pebbly Beach Rd.
Flx Biergarten: The island's first and only Biergarten located in Avalon, Flx pays homage to the island's rich history and takes its name from the iconic '50s Flxible buses that once graced the streets of Avalon and wandered the island’s interior with curious tourists. Flx boasts an open-air atmosphere that includes charming string lights and cozy firepits, Flx is the perfect place to enjoy a cold beer, wine, seltzer, or kombucha with friends. Plus, beer lovers can sample a variety of styles with tasty beer flight offerings. This Fall, Flx Biergarten will host Catalina Island Company’s first Oktoberfest from September 29 to October 1.
Catalina Charlie's is now open in the former location of the Catalina Cantina on Crescent Ave.
Topside by NDMK is now in the former location of Toyon Grill in the Catalina Conservancy's Trailhead building.
SEASONAL SUMMER FUN:
Beach Days: Mondays
The City of Avalon will host Beach Days on Mondays from 11 am to 3 pm through August 28. Swim with mermaids, take out a kayak and participate in beach games.
Movies on the Beach: Wednesdays through August
The City of Avalon will host Movies on the Beach on South Beach every other Wednesday from June 21 to August 23. Films begin at 7 p.m. and snacks and refreshments are available for purchase. Visitors are encouraged to bring their own chairs or blankets. The full movie lineup, featuring family-favorites like “Wall-E” and “Lilo & Stitch”, can be found here.
Summer Beach Bingo: Through August 24
Every Tuesday and Thursday from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m., families can enjoy a game of bingo right on the sand. Located on South Beach, visitors can bring a beach chair or towel and play for a chance to win fun local prizes. Bingo cards are $1 each.
Kids Fishing Derby: Through August 23
Every Wednesday from 7 a.m. to 9 a.m., kids can participate in a free fishing derby presented by the City of Avalon. Kids can purchase or rent equipment and get bait from Joe’s-Rent-A-Boat on the Green Pleasure Pier. Prizes are awarded every week following the derby. Bait and gear are also available on the pier.
Fitness Fridays: Through August 25
Meet at Kids Park for Fitness Fridays from 9 am to 12 pm and take part in a variety of fitness classes from Zumba, to Stretch, Weight Lifting and Boxing. Presented by the City of Avalon.
Art in the Park: Saturdays Through August 26
Meet at Kids Park on Saturdays from 11:30 am to 3 pm and take part in Art in the Park. Come and let your creative side out.
Sunday Wellness: Through August 27
Join us every Sunday at Avalon City Park as a variety of licensed instructors lead Sunday Wellness including yoga, sound healing and more.