As 2019 near its end, it continues to underperform relative to prior year status. Primary factors have been weather and facility closure. Early in the year, poor weather resulted in both Cross Channel and Cruise Ship cancellations and in fewer boaters in the harbor. November tracked growth in all but one travel sector over last year.
November visitation increased year-over-year in all but one sector, resulting in a total increase of 16.2% over the same month last year.
November total in-bound passengers = 70,062, up from last year @ 68,276. November 2019 was above the three-year average of 68,823. November was just below the five-year average of 70,310 and exceeded ten-year average @ 59,859.
Arrivals by Sea
Avalon's combined Cruise & Cross Channel in-bound passenger counts for November totaled 64,123, up 13.8% from 2018. Total people arriving by sea, including private boaters, was 67,792 for the month, up 16.8% from 58,034 last year.
- November Cross Channel passenger counts were up 7.1% year-over-year @ 42,687.
- 2014 had the highest volume for the month @ 50,949 passengers.
- 2009 had the lowest volume for the month @ 24,262 passengers.
- November Cross Channel passenger counts were above the three-year average of 41,648 by 2.5%.
- Cross Channel Carriers made up 60.9% of total monthly arrivals.
- Cruise passenger counts were up 45.8% year-over-year @ 21,436
- The number of Cruise Ships calling on Avalon was up @ 8 vs. 6 in November of 2018
- 2015 had the highest passenger volume for the month @ 29,084.
- 2011 had the lowest passenger volume for the month @ 7,304.
- November passenger counts were on par for the three-year average @ 21,387
- November passenger counts were below the five-year average of 23,482 by 8.7%
- Cruise passengers made up 30.6% of total monthly arrivals.
- Private Boater passenger counts were up 5.3% @ 3,669.
- 2019 had the highest volume for the month @ 3,669.
- 2013 had the lowest volume month @ 2,440.
- November counts were above the three-year average of 3,459 by 6.1%.
- November counts were above the five-year average of 3,097 by 18.5%
- November Boaters made up 5.2% of total monthly arrivals
Arrivals by Air
Avalon's combined in-bound air passenger counts for November totaled 2,302, up 0.9% from 2018.
- People aboard planes (Airport in the Sky) was up 18.9% year-over-year @ 1,545.
- 2019 had the highest volume of private aircraft passenger counts for the month @ 1,545.
- November counts were above the three-year average of 1,365 by 11.6%.
- Five and ten-year data sets are incomplete.
- November people aboard planes made up 2% of total monthly arrivals.
- People aboard Charter Helicopters was down year-over-year 23.1% @ 725.
- 2017 had the highest volume for the month @ 1,164.
- 2011 had the lowest volume for the month @ 623.
- November people aboard Helicopters made up 1.0% of total monthly arrivals.
- Year-to-date total arrivals = 964,582 down 3.3% from last year which was 997,893.
- Year-to-date total arrivals is below the three-year average of 998,343 by 3.4%.
- Year-to-date total arrivals is below the five-year average of 994,223 by 3.0%.
- Year-to-date total arrivals is above the ten-year average of 884,676 by 9.0%
Note: the Airport in the Sky was closed January through May 2019 for runway repairs.
To view historical data for total arrivals by sector, year and month in a spreadsheet form click here.
Year-over-year comparison for highs, lows and precipitation is charted below for the month of November each year back to 2012.
The number of rain days by month is charted below. 2019 represents the most rain days year-to-date with 58 days recorded. 2017 had 37 rain days, 2012 had 27 rain days for the same time period. There were 5 rain days in November this year.
Third Night Complimentary
The longer you stay, the more memories you make. Book two nights and receive your third night complimentary.
Catalina Flyer from Newport
$10 Off Catalina Island Ferry
Hop onboard the Catalina Flyer with daily round trip service to Catalina Island from Newport Beach.