December 2020, reflected the ongoing impacts of COVID-19. Holiday travel was greatly reduced due to travel restrictions and lack of available activities and attractions due to temporary closures. The annual New Year’s Eve Gala was not held this year, further impacting December Visitation.
December visitation decreased year-over-year in four sectors (cross channel, cruise, private aircraft and helicopter), resulting in an overall decrease by 44,236 visitors over the same month last year.
December’s total in-bound passengers = 12,259, down 78.2% from last year @ 56,595. December 2020 was below the three-year average of 42,580 by 71%. December was below the five-year average of 50,142 by 75.4% and the ten-year average of 46,607 by 73.5%.
Arrivals by Sea
Passengers arriving by sea, including private boaters, was 11,151 for the month of December, down 79.4% from 54,184 last year.
- December Cross Channel passenger counts were down 65.2% year-over-year @ 9,883
- 2014 had the highest volume for the month @ 39,900 passengers
- 2020 had the lowest volume for the month @ 9,883 passengers. Previous low was 1992 @ 17,593
- December Cross Channel passenger counts were below the three-year average of 23,610 by 58.1%
- Cross Channel Carriers made up 79.97% of total monthly arrivals
- Cruise passenger counts were down 100% year-over-year @ 0 vs. 24,849 in 2019
- 2005 had the highest cruise passenger volume for the month @ 25,612
- 2020 had the lowest cruise passenger volume for the month @ 0. Previous low was 2000 @ 4,062
- December cruise passenger counts were below the three-year average of 16,127 by 100%
- Cruise passengers made up 0% of total monthly arrivals
- The number of Cruise Ships calling on Avalon was down @ 0 vs. 14 in 2019
- 2019 had the highest number of cruise ships in port @ 14
- 2020 had the lowest number of cruise ships in port @ 0. Previous low was 2017 @10
- Private Boater passenger counts were up year-over-year by 29.9% @ 1,268
- 2017 had the highest volume for the month @ 2,216
- 2019 had the lowest volume month @ 976
- December private boater passenger counts were above the three-year average of 1,200 by 5.7%
- December number of boats on anchor was up by 6.5% from last year @ 68
- 2018 had the highest number of vessels at anchor @ 107
- 2016 had the lowest number of vessels at anchor @ 5
- December number of boats on moorings was up 29.9% @ 317
- 2017 had the highest number of vessels on moorings @ 554
- 2013 had the lowest number of vessels on moorings @ 11
- Private Boaters Made up 10.26% of total monthly arrivals
Arrivals by Air
Combined in-bound air passenger counts for December totaled 1,219, down by 49.8% from 2019.
- People aboard planes (Airport in the Sky) was down 49.2% @ 986
- 2019 had the highest volume of private aircraft passenger counts for the month @ 1,782
- 2018 had the lowest volume of private aircraft passenger counts for the month @ 447
- December counts for people aboard planes was below the three-year average of 1,045 by 13.3%
- December people aboard planes made up 7.98% of total monthly arrivals
- People aboard Charter Helicopters was down year-over-year by 52% @ 302
- 2016 had the highest volume for the month @ 998
- 2020 had the lowest volume for the month @ 302. Previous low for month was 453 in 2011
- December counts were below the three-year average of 587 by 49.4%
- December people aboard Helicopters made up 2.44% of total monthly arrivals
- Total arrivals calendar year-end was down 50.7% from last year @ 503,210 vs. 1,021,177 visitors
- Total arrivals calendar year-end fell below the three, five and ten year averages by over 40% each
- 2017 had the highest volume in a year @ 1,097,500
- 2010 had the lowest volume in a year for which we have complete data @ 677,528
- Year-end counts were below the three-year average of 860,355 by 41.5%
2020 Arrivals by Sea
2020 Arrivals by Air
To view historical data for total arrivals by sector, year and month in a spreadsheet form click here.
2020 Visitor Services
Year-over-year comparison for some key Visitor Services metrics are being added to monthly reports. The data sets will continue to evolve in 2021.
2020 Catalina Island Visitor Center
2020 Total LoveCatalina.com Website Users 830,585
2020 Website Sessions 1,079,613
2020 Website Pageviews 2,323,185
2020 Printed Visitor Guide orders @ LoveCatalina.com 7,503
2020 Online Guide downloads 1,849
2020 Online E-blast consumer sign-ups 1,450
2020 Book Direct lodging searches 144,130
2020 Book Direct referrals 112,380
2020 Book Direct Package referrals 7,174
2020 Love Catalina Social Media
2020 Total Twitter Followers 4,071 (up 7% from 2019)
2020 Total Instagram Followers 22,966 (up 38% from 2019)
2020 Facebook Followers (multiple accounts) 110,146 (up 5% from 2019)
2020 LinkedIn Followers 133 (up 44% from 2019)
2020 TikTok newly launched
Data for highs, lows and precipitation is currently unavailable. When available an amended version of this report will be supplied.
$10 Off Catalina Island Ferry
Hop onboard the Catalina Flyer for daily ferry service from Newport Beach to Avalon, Catalina Island in just over 1 hour.
Online reservations are now open!
A sparkling night of evening gowns, tuxedos, champagne, dining and dancing on Sunday, December 31 in the world-famous Casino Ballroom.