February 2020 brought increased with year-over-year growth. Weather was less of an issue vs. the same period last year.
February’s total in-bound passengers = 56,336, up from last year @ 43,161. February 2020 was above the three-year average of 51,905 by 8.5%. February was above the five-year average of 53,619 by 5.1% and exceeded ten-year average of 50,185 by 12.3%.
Arrivals by Sea
People arriving by sea, including private boaters, was 55,070 for the month up 30.8% from 42,089 last year.
- February Cross Channel passenger counts were up 52.5% year-over-year @ 33,582
- 2016 had the highest volume for the month @ 39,162 passengers
- 1998 had the lowest volume for the month @ 15,537 passengers
- February Cross Channel passenger counts were above the three-year average of 29,452 by 14%
- Cross Channel Carriers made up 59.6% of total monthly arrivals
- Cruise passenger counts were up 9.7% year-over-year @ 22,105
- The number of Cruise Ships calling on Avalon was down @ 8 vs. 9 in 2019
- 2006 had the highest passenger volume for the month @ 22,917
- 1995 had the lowest passenger volume for the month @ 4,117
- February passenger counts were above the three-year average of 19,245 by 1.3%
- Cruise passengers made up 32.59% of total monthly arrivals
- Private Boater passenger counts were up @ 2,000
- 2016 had the highest volume for the month @ 2,236
- 2017 had the lowest volume month @ 628
- February counts were above the three-year average of 1,563 by 28%
- February boaters made up 3.55% of total monthly arrivals
Arrivals by Air
Avalon's combined in-bound air passenger counts for February totaled 1,266, up 22.2% from 2019.
- People aboard planes (Airport in the Sky) was up 100% as the airport was closed last year for repairs
- 2016 had the highest volume of private aircraft passenger counts for the month @ 2,133
- February counts were above the three-year average of 828 by 54%
- February people aboard planes made up 2.23% of total monthly arrivals
- People aboard Charter Helicopters was down year-over-year @ 0, due to a temporary suspension of service by IEX
- 2018 had the highest volume for the month @ 1,399
- 2020 had the lowest volume for the month @ 0
- February counts were below the three-year average of 822
- February people aboard Helicopters made up 0% of total monthly arrivals
- Total arrivals year-to-date was up @ 109,027 or 19.1% over last year
- Total arrivals year-to-date exceeded the three, five and ten year averages
To view historical data for total arrivals by sector, year and month in a spreadsheet form click here.
Year-over-year comparison for highs, lows and precipitation is charted below for the month of January each year back to 2012.
The number of rain days in February and Year-to date is charted below with year-over year comparisons