Located at the top Avalon Canyon on Catalina Island, the Wrigley Memorial is the centerpiece of the Catalina Island Conservancy's Botanic Garden. The towering 80 foot memorial honors the memory of William Wrigley, Jr., who purchased interest in Catalina Island in 1919. The Botanic Garden was the idea of Mrs. Ada Wrigley, wife of William Wrigley, Jr. The garden, set over 38 acres, offers a special emphasis on California island endemic plants.
William Wrigley, Jr. passed away in 1932 at the age of 70. He was best known as the founder of the Wrigley Company, makers of Wrigley Chewing Gum and owner of the Chicago Cubs and Wrigley Field. As noted above, Wrigley purchased controlling interest in Catalina Island in 1919 with the vision to turn the island into a world class destination for all generations to enjoy. Commissioned by wife Ada after his passing, the Wrigley Memorial was designed by Chicago architecture firm of Bennett, Parsons and Frost and constructed between 1933-34. The goal was to source as many materials as possible from the island. Rock from the Pebbly Beach Quarry, blue flagstones from Little Harbor and colorful handmade tiles produced by the Catalina Pottery Co. were used in the construction.
William Wrigley, Jr. was laid to rest at the memorial for only a short period of time. His remains were moved during WWII to Forest Lawn Cemetery in Glendale, CA. Wrigley's original burial marker can be viewed under the arch within the memorial. IN 1935, after completion of the Memorial, Wrigley's wife Ada, established the Botanic Gardens on the grounds below the Memorial.
Located 1.5 miles up Avalon Canyon from Avalon Harbor, the Wrigley Memorial and Botanic Garden is open daily, with the exception of Thanksgiving and Christmas.